Choosing the best time in your life to have children is different for everyone. Lots of women can get pregnant easily into their late forties, but for some, fertility can be a costly and emotionally draining struggle. Whether a couple chooses to undergo surgeries, treatments, or pursue surrogacy, the effort to have a child is personal.
Even celebrities aren’t immune to the difficulties of becoming pregnant. Below we listed stars that carried children in their forties (and even beyond), and highlight the roads they took in pursuit of parenthood.
1. Celine Dion: Celine opened up publicly about her fertility struggles. She saw specialists, went through several rounds of IVF, and even had a miscarriage. But at 42 years old, she gave birth to twin boys, Eddy and Nelson.
2. Salma Hayek: After giving birth to her daughter Valentina, Salma was relieved. At age 41, she thought she might have trouble conceiving. Luckily, the star was able to get pregnant without any intervention (though she did grapple with gestational diabetes)!
3. Christie Brinkley: She and her husband, Peter Cook, endured several rounds of failed IVF treatments and miscarriages. Discouraged, the couple gave IVF one last shot. At 44 years old, Christie became pregnant with their daughter Sailor.
4. Naomi Watts: Naomi started her motherhood journey later in life, having her sons, Sasha and Kai, at age 39 and 40, respectively. When asked about her pregnancy experience, she wished she’d started trying at a younger age. She wanted more children!
5. Molly Ringwald: The ’80s darling had her first child, Mathilda, at 35, but struggled to become pregnant for a second time. She underwent surgery to remove fibroids and eventually got pregnant with twins at age 41.
6. Uma Thurman: This tough mama gave birth to her third child, Luna, at age 41. When asked if she would like to add more to her family, Uma said “The shop is closed. I got lucky, I have three healthy, beautiful children. Touch wood.”
7. Alyssa Milano: “There are very natural moments. It’s not like we’re machines or biological experiments. We’re very attracted to each other,” the actress said about her husband before she gave birth to her second child, Elizabella, when she was 41.
8. Iman: 22 years after giving birth to her first daughter, she thanked her lucky stars. Iman and her late husband David Bowie, called their daughter, Alexandria, their miracle baby. They tried IVF, but in the end, she became pregnant naturally.
9. Eva Mendes: She opened up about motherhood in a magazine. “I thought my wild nights were over,” she said, “but these are some of the wildest nights I’ve ever had.” She was 40 and 42 years old when she welcomed her daughters with partner Ryan Gosling.
10. Tina Fey: Queen of comedy Tina Fey and her husband Jeff Richmond decided not to put off having children for their careers. In 2011, smack dab in the middle of running and starring in 30 Rock, she had their second baby, Penelope. Tina was 41 at the time.
Growing Your Baby
11. Gwen Stefani: Gwen and her ex-husband Gavin Rossdale welcomed their third son, Apollo, in 2015. At 44 years old, Gwen felt he was a special blessing. Getting pregnant in her almost mid-forties, she found put her in “a whole new spiritual place.”
12. Beverly D’Angelo: Ultimately, Beverly and her then-partner Al Pacino had success with IVF treatments, and at 48 years old, were pregnant with twins. Beverly’s pregnancy was complicated, and she spent most of her 9 months in extreme discomfort. But, they welcomed a healthy boy and girl! Hooah!
13. Laura Linney: The Ozark star was never spotted with a baby bump, so it is unknown whether she carried her child herself or used a surrogate. In 2014, when she was 49 years old, Laura and her husband Marc Schauer welcomed their first child, Bennett.
14. Helen Hunt: “I tried for a long time, and it just didn’t happen,” she said. But when Helen and her boyfriend were ready to pursue adoption, at long last, things worked in their favor. She was 40 years old when she began expecting Makena Lei.
15. Jane Krakowski: Unlike the narcissistic, adult-child characters she often portrays, Jane herself wanted to be a mom. Taking after her costar and friend Tina Fey, Jane became pregnant in 2011 with her son at age 42.
Growing Your Baby
16. Janet Jackson: Janet kept most of the details of her pregnancy under wraps, but she carried her son herself at 50 years old. She gave birth to a healthy baby boy, Eissa, in 2017.
17. Nicole Kidman: In her first marriage to Tom Cruise, Nicole suffered an ectopic pregnancy, so the pair pursued adoption instead. Then at age 42, in her second marriage to singer Keith Urban, she and Urban were able to conceive their daughter, Sunday Rose. They chose to use a surrogate for their daughter Faith Margaret.
18. Julianne Moore: In her second marriage to director Bart Freundlich, Julianne had two children. Her daughter was born in 2002 when she was 41 years old. She strategically picks film projects that allow her to maintain some normalcy in parenting her children.
19. Jennifer Connelly: She and her husband, actor Paul Bettany, celebrated the arrival of their daughter, Agnes Lark, when Jennifer was 40 years old. After welcoming her third child, Jennifer was done having kids.
20. Geena Davis: At age 46, she gave birth to her twin sons, Kian and Kaiis. Geena has spoken out about being an older expectant mom. She waited until the exact right time to have her children, and her age and experiences have only made her a better parent.
While these celebs waited to have children well into their 40s, others hit the ground running and started families before 30 was even on the horizon…
Kate Hudson: When she was just 24, Hudson gave birth to her son Ryder (below) with her then-husband, rocker Chris Robinson. You would think rock n’ roll and parenting don’t mix… and you’d be right. They split and Hudson gave birth to her second son, Bingham in 2011, with boyfriend Matt Bellamy.
Kate Hudson / Instagram
Hilary Duff: Even though the rest of the world saw her as perpetual high school student Lizzy Maguire on the eponymously named Disney Channel show, at 24 in the year 2012, she gave birth to her first baby, Luca.
Sofia Vergara: In 1991 when she was just 19 years old, this sultry star and her then-husband welcomed their son Manolo into the world. She certainly didn’t let being a mother slow her down.
Sofia wasn’t going to let being a young mom stop her from pursuing her dreams and achieved them. Thanks to ABC’s Modern Family, she’s a household name, and Manolo’s been there every step of the way!
Kylie Jenner: In 2018 she became the youngest member of the Kardashian-Jenner clan to give birth, when She and her boyfriend the rapper Travis Scott welcomed their daughter Stormi into the world. This was also the same year that Kylie left her teenage years behind her and turned 20!
Reese Witherspoon: Back in 1999, Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe were young Hollywood’s “It” couple, taking the silver screen and the red carpet totally by storm, but that wasn’t the most captivating thing about their romance…
That’s because 1999 was also the year that 23-year-old Reese gave birth to her daughter—and double!—Ava (left). She gave birth to her son Deacon in 2003, and after splitting with Phillippe and remarrying agent Jim Toth, she had her third child, a son named Tennessee, in 2012.
Solange Knowles: It’s not easy being Beyonce’s little sister. It’s even more difficult being Beyonce’s little sister who gets pregnant at 18! Solange Knowles and her first husband, Daniel Smith, welcomed Daniel Junior in 2004.
Roseanne Barr: When this sharp-tongued celeb and comedian was just 18 years old she gave birth to a daughter, Brandi Brown. She gave her up for adoption, but the two were reunited when Brandi sought her out the year she turned 18.
Candace Cameron-Bure: In 1998 when she was just 22 years old, she had her first child, a beautiful daughter named Natasha (left). This Full House star started having a family when she was so young for a reason!
She and her husband Valeri Bure quickly added two more kids, their sons Maksim and Lev Valerievich, born in 2000 and 2002 respectively. Full House is more than a show to her, it’s a way of life!
Brandy: In 2002, Brandy had her first child, a daughter named Sy’rai Iman Smith. Though Brandy was just 22, she felt ready and excited to raise a baby with her then-boyfriend Robert Smith.
While some might have been intimidated to be entering into something so mature at such a young age, Brandy wasn’t phased in the slightest. She even televised her pregnancy and delivery on the limited series Brandy: Special Delivery.
Ashlee Simpson: In 2008, when Ashlee was just 23 years old, she and her now-ex husband musician Pete Wentz said hello to their son, Bronx. In 2014, Ashlee married Evan Ross and kept having babies—starting with their daughter, Jagger.
Niki Taylor: When she was just 19 this legendary supermodel managed to give birth to twin boys, Hunter and Jake. These days Niki is mom to four kids total, and when she returns to the world of fashion, sometimes she does it alongside her twins!
Britney Spears: In 2005 when she was just 23 years old, Spears shocked the world by marrying her back-up dancer, Kevin Federline and quickly giving birth to her first child, Sean. Her son Jayden would follow the next year.
Jamie Lynn Spears: In 2007, Britney’s little sister had really made something of herself as the star in the Disney Channel show Zoey 101. This was also the year that 17-year-old Spears made headlines for announcing her pregnancy with daughter Maddie.
Victoria Beckham: She was already known all over the world as Posh Spice, so motherhood seemed like the obvious next step for this retired Spice Girl. She gave birth to her son Brooklyn in 1999 when she was just 24.
Naomi Judd: This country star gave birth to her first child, Christina Ciminella (known as Wynona to us) in 1964 when she was 18 years old! Feeling that she had another star to birth, she waited four years then brought her daughter Ashley into the world.
Keisha Castle-Hughes: In 2007, 17-year-old Keisha and her then-boyfriend Bradley Hull welcomed their daughter Felicity-Amore to planet Earth. The couple gave things a solid shot but split in 2010.