We read about celebrity relationships in tabloid magazines and on social media practically every day. Yet, for all the information our brains are practically force-fed, we still rarely get to learn the intimate details of what goes on behind closed doors. That is, until now.
Luckily for gossip hounds worldwide, celebrity exes are finally revealing some of the quirks of the stars they once dated—and they’re not all flattering. Get ready to see these celebrities in a whole new light, because here come the juicy details…
1. Tom Hanks: As one of Hollywood’s most beloved actors, you’d have to imagine Tom Hanks was once a highly sought-after bachelor. Starring as lovable characters in successful films like Big and Forrest Gump, what wasn’t to love?
Well, apparently, all that Hollywood cool didn’t always exist. Why? According to one person—whose mom dated the star in high school—he was a sweet guy, albeit terribly geeky. He was so dorky, he even started a kazoo marching band!
2. Marilyn Manson: Shock musician Marilyn Manson has long been considered quirky—to say the least. But what was he like when he was just Brian Warner, a high school student in Canton, Ohio?
Fans might love his lyrics nowadays, but back in high school, he wasn’t quite as talented; according to an ex, he wrote lots of bad poetry. She also didn’t like that he drove a Pontiac Fiero.
3. Carly Rae Jepsen: When Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen made it big with her breakthrough single “Call Me Maybe,” fans were instantly drawn to her sweet personality. But what was she like to date?
According to one ex who briefly dated her in college, not only was she down to earth, but she was incredibly sweet. Though he didn’t reveal why the relationship ended, you have to wonder if they never reconnected because he failed to call her, maybe?
4. Jeff Dunham: As a famous ventriloquist and comedian, it should come as no surprise that Jeff Dunham had a few quirks when it came to the early stages of a relationship. But just how weird was he?
According to one person whose mom dated him, long before he was famous, he was still “doing the puppet thing.” Though the woman claimed that he was really nice, she admitted that the puppets really creeped everyone out.
5. Rainn Wilson: In playing the resident oddball Dwight on The Office, one would assume there’s no way Rainn Wilson could be that bizarre in real life. Luckily, you’d be correct! And in order to pull off such a character, he’d have to be pretty funny, right?
You got it! According to an ex, he had a strange, albeit endearing, sense of humor. One of her fondest memories included the time he answered the phone without knowing who was on the other end by saying “Jimmy crack corn and I don’t care. How may I help you?” Sounds about right.
6. Jim Morrison: Long before he became the famed singer of the American rock band The Doors, Jim Morrison always had an edge. And that’s something his ex remembers fondly…
According to this ex-girlfriend, her father wasn’t too keen on Morrison courting his daughter. In fact, he forbade him from seeing her and even kicked him out of the house. But why? Because he rode a motorcycle and had long hair!
7. Mireille Enos: Starring on hit shows like The Killing and in movies like World War Z, you’d have to imagine Mireille Enos was always a destined to be a successful actress. But do any of her exes have some good stories about the future star?
Apparently they do, and they’re very pleasant! Her high school beau admitted she was always determined to make it in Hollywood, and he’s glad that she did. Though things eventually fizzled, they stayed in touch to this day, and have even since met for dinner with her current husband, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off actor Alan Ruck.
8. Chester Bennington: You’d imagine a busy tour schedule would make being in a relationship with the late Lincoln Park singer pretty difficult. So, what was he like when he was on the brink of major success?
According to one ex, who dated him for 10 months just as the band was starting to tour regionally, he was a great guy. Still, she admitted that being away for such lengthy periods of time would eventually be a problem. Sure enough, they broke up within a year.
9. Nicolas Cage: The Face/Off and National Treasure actor has been revealed to be somewhat of an eccentric in the past few years. Though he’s had some tabloid-worthy relationships with the likes of Lisa Marie Presley, what was it like to actually date him?
According to a woman who went on a single date with him just after his split with Presley, he was actually incredibly fascinating. Still, it wasn’t meant to be: at one point they kissed, but when he invited her to spend the night, she nixed the idea—and the two never went out again.
10. Tiger Woods: You know the saying “once a cheater, always a cheater?” Well, if Woods’s recent relationships are any indication of that, then you know it mostly holds true. Surely he was a nicer guy in high school…
Apparently, he was pretty much the same. According to his ex, Woods was a talented golfer, but his dad didn’t want him dating anyone. Though their relationship continued into college, things eventually ended when she learned he’d cheated on her.
Hollywood is a tough place for romance. Whether it’s because of the unrelenting paparazzi or packed movie schedules, stars have a hard time sticking together… which makes these celebrity couples all the more impressive.
1. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith: Actress Jada Pinkett and the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air himself, Will Smith, have been happily married for a whopping 20 years. They have two children together, Willow and Jaden, who have launched their own respective music and acting careers.
2. Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara: Comedy fans know Jerry Stiller from his many movie appearances and his role in Seinfeld. His wife of 61 years, Anne Meara, died in 2015; they had two kids together, including actor and director Ben Stiller.
3. Christopher and Georgianne Walken: Christopher and Georgianne Walken have been together since 1969. Christopher once expressed interest in playing a husband on screen, but he’s typically offered quirkier films, such as The Dead Zone and True Romance.
4. James Garner and Lois Clarke: This couple was wed in 1956 only 14 days after they first met. James Garner, who passed away in 2014, was famous for his roles in movies like The Great Escape. He once had this to say about married life: “Marriage is like the Army; everyone complains, but you’d be surprised at the large number of people who re-enlist.”
5. Bob and Ginny Newhart: Stand-up comedian Bob Newhart has been married to his wife Ginny for 55 happy years. They were wed in 1963, and they have four beautiful children together.
6. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward: This famous Hollywood couple married in 1958. Paul Newman won an Academy Award for his role in The Color of Money. He was famously quoted as saying this about being loyal to his wife: “I have steak at home. Why would I want to go out for a hamburger?”
7. Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft: Celebrated actress Anne Bancroft will always be remembered for her iconic role as Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate, but also for her long and loving marriage to the equally successful comedy director Mel Brooks. The two were married for 41 years before her death in 2005.
8. Don and Barbara Rickles: The late Hollywood insult-comic Don Rickles may have had a sharp tongue and prickly persona when he was on stage, but he and his wife, Barbara, enjoyed 52 years of loving marriage.
9. Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy: This acting couple frequently starred alongside each other in films like To Dance With a White Dog and Foxfire. The pair was married from 1942 until Jessica Tandy’s death in 1994. They enjoyed over 50 years of happy marriage.
10. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson: It’s not surprising Hollywood good-guy Tom Hanks has been happily married for a long time. He and his wife, actress and producer Rita Wilson, have enjoyed 29 long years of matrimony and counting!
11. Jack Fisk and Sissy Spacek: Anyone who has seen the movie Carrie will always remember Sissy Spacek’s haunting role as the titular character. She and husband Jack Fisk, a film production designer and director, have been married since 1974. They have two daughters together.
12. Ron and Cheryl Howard: When acclaimed Hollywood director Ron Howard isn’t making award-winning films like Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, he spends his time with his wife of 43 years, Cheryl, who’s also an actress.
13. Jeff Bridges and Susan Geston: Since 1977, Academy Award-winning actor Jeff Bridges and his wife, Susan Geston, have been happily paired. In classic Jeff Bridges fashion, he said sticking with marriage is “true grit, man.”
14. Don Gummer and Meryl Streep: Three-time Academy Award-winner Meryl Streep is one of the most admired actresses in Hollywood, and she’s enjoyed a long, happy marriage with Don Gummer, a well-known American sculptor.
15. Samuel L. Jackson and LaTanya Richardson: Hollywood heavy-hitter Samuel L. Jackson might play a hardened guy in his movies, but the truth is he’s got nothing but love for his wife of 30 years, LaTanya Richardson.
16. Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman: Many people would recognize this Hollywood mega-duo as the irresponsible parents in the kids’ film Matilda. While they famously split in 2017, they’d be together since 1982—a whopping 35 years!
17. Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne: Fans of heavy metal all know Ozzy Osbourne as the lead singer of the classic band Black Sabbath, but most don’t know he and his wife Sharon have shared 36 years of happy (and sometimes wild) years.
18. Chevy Chase and Jayni Luke: Comedy icon Chevy Chase is known for his laugh-out-loud performances in the National Lampoon movies and Saturday Night Live. He’s been married to author Jayni Luke for 36 years.
19. Bono and Ali Hewson: Bono, the lead singer of the ultra-famous rock band U2, is not only known around the world for his music, but his humanitarian work as well. He and his wife, Ali Hewson—a social activist herself—have shared 36 blissful years together.
20. Denzel and Pauletta Washington: It’d be tough to find a list of the greatest actors of all time that didn’t include Denzel Washington, known for his stellar performances in films like Training Day and Remember the Titans. He once said his greatest life project was his family; he’s been married to his wife Pauletta for 35 years.