When we’re kids, we all have that one special person who we call our best friend. Sure, other friendships may come and go, but the bond you share with your best friend is one that will never break. It’s the same for celebrities as it is for average folks like you and me.
These celebs all have friends whom they’ve known since childhood… who became famous in their own right! What makes their stories even more incredible? Many of these celebrity besties remain close to this day!
1. Leonardo Di Caprio and Tobey Maguire: They met while both of their mothers were taking them from audition to audition, and while they’ve since “made it” in Hollywood, they still play the occasional game of basketball.
2. Prince William and Eddie Redmayne: It must have been quite exciting for young Eddie to attend Eton College with a literal prince, let alone become friends with the guy! They’re admittedly not as close as they once were, but as an Academy Award-winning actor today, he’s not doing much worse than his old pal.
3. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler: They’re now known for hit films and television shows, but they first met as members of The Second City improv group in Chicago…
Fey landed the Saturday Night Live gig first and had a hand in getting her friend to join her later. They eventually shared the “Weekend Update” desk before appearing in films like Mean Girls and Sisters together.
4. Lauryn Hill and Zach Braff: This musician and actor grew up together in Maplewood, New Jersey, with Hill attending Braff’s bar mitzvah. She was even his partner for the classic bar mitzvah game, “Coke and Pepsi!”
5. Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gosling: This pop star and his movie star pal met on the set of the 1990s incarnation of The Mickey Mouse Club alongside other future celebrities like Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears. Gosling even spent a year during that time living with Timberlake and his mother!
6. Ben Affleck and Matt Damon: Not long after meeting while attending the same Cambridge, Massachusetts high school, Damon and Affleck shared an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay when they co-wrote Good Will Hunting. The script started as a short story Damon wrote for a class at Harvard, and Affleck suggested they work together to turn it into a film!
7. Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie: As the heiress of the Hilton Hotel chain fortune and the adoptive daughter of pop star Lionel Richie respectively, growing up wealthy bonded these celebrities from a young age. They later starred on the reality series The Simple Life.
8. Brooke Shields and Matt Dillon: While the friendship between these two young movie stars was big news during their 1980s heyday, they never claimed to be dating, and instead were good friends.
9. John Krasinski and B.J. Novak: Long before anyone knew them as Jim Halpert and Ryan Howard, respectively, on the American version of The Office, they lived in the same town and played on the same little league team! According to Krasinski, Novak was Newton, Massachusetts’s “home run king.”
10. Elijah Wood and Macaulay Culkin: These child stars met on the set of 1993’s The Good Son when they were still just tweens, but they maintained their friendship for many years afterward with Wood helping his buddy out with his personal struggles throughout the 2000s.
11. Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez: They were just little girls when they met on the set of Barney and Friends in the mid-1990s, and they’ve since launched wildly popular pop music careers. They’ve remained friends, but there’s no word on whether they’ve maintained their friendship with Barney the dinosaur himself…
12. Drew Barrymore and Courtney Love: This pair met during Barrymore’s teenage years in Hollywood. Both women have struggled in their personal lives, but they are still close. In fact, Barrymore is the godmother to Courtney’s daughter, Frances Bean Cobain.
13. Jennifer Aniston and Chaz Bono: These two met as teenagers in LaGuardia High School in New York City, and became such good friends that Aniston frequently visited Bono’s home… do you think Cher ever brought them a plate of cookies?
14. Maya Rudolph and Gwyneth Paltrow: These two actresses were destined to meet each other because their fathers were friends in college. They attended grade school together before launching major Hollywood careers!
15. Amanda Seyfried and Mae Whitman: Even though Seyfried is three years older than Whitman, they’ve been good friends since they were little girls, with the former going on to star in such films as Mean Girls and Mamma Mia, and the latter starring in shows like Parenthood.
16. Brad Pitt and Christina Applegate: These two were friends as teenagers, right around the time Applegate debuted her breakout role in Married With Children. Pitt was even her date to the 1989 MTV Movie Awards, though she left with someone else… awkward!
17. Nicolas Cage and Sean Penn: While they didn’t immediately hit it off on the set of the 1984 film Racing With the Moon, with Penn even telling Cage he was “not an actor,” they got to know each other and have been friends ever since.
18. Naomi Watts and Nicole Kidman: These actresses met as teens while auditioning for a bikini ad in Australia and commiserated. “We had to sit and wait, both in swimsuits, feeling incredibly embarrassed,” Watts said in an interview. “And neither of us got the job!”
19. Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson: This idiosyncratic director befriended a quirky actor in a screenwriting class while attending the University of Texas at Austin. When they collaborated on the script for the 1996 film Bottle Rocket, a dynamic duo was formed.
20. Liv Tyler and Kate Hudson: The daughters of Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and actress Goldie Hawn, respectively, these future stars attended school together before starring as lovers in the 1990 romantic comedy Dr. T and the Women.
21. Bette Midler and 50 Cent: This unlikely pair met through the New York Restoration Project. They instantly bonded over their passion to make New York a better place. Midler said, “He’s really made my life worth living.”
22. Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon: Their friendship goes back to the 2000s when Timberlake appeared on Saturday Night Live along Fallon. “I was totally nervous and [he was] nervous and we both ended up having a good night.”
23. Oprah Winfrey and Gayle King: Forty-three years of friendship began when Winfrey and King met while working at a TV station in Baltimore, Maryland. Oprah says that there’s “not a better human in the world,” in regards to her bestie, Gayle.
24. Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston: The actors’ off-screen relationship is much different than what you see on screen. Hemsworth said, “You either have chemistry with someone or you don’t…” While Hiddleston followed, “It’s quite literally a bromance.”
25. Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams: Starring as on-screen sisters in HBO’s Game of Thrones, Turner and Williams got matching tattoos after they learned the show was ending. Turner said, “She’s my best friend. She’s my soul mate. I love that girl to pieces.”
26. Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore: These two met at a Beverly Hills coffee shop. It wasn’t until Barrymore was producing the movie Charlie’s Angels in 2002 that she called Diaz and offered her a role — the rest is history.
27. Kim Kardashian and Jonathan Cheban: Not all Hollywood friendships begin on the red carpet. This decade-long bond blossomed when Cheban accidentally sat next to Kardashian at a birthday party. What a happy mistake.
Frank Castle / Backgrid
28. Julianne Hough and Nina Dobrev: After meeting through mutual friends in 2013, Hough and Dobrev became inseparable. Dobrev soaked up the sun at Hough’s fun-filled bachelorette weekend in the Caribbean and stood next to her when she said, “I do.”
29. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law: This dynamic duo became friends after co-starring in the two Sherlock Holmes films in 2009 and 2011. It blossomed into a beautiful bromance on and off-screen. Downey Jr. and Law are gearing up to film a third franchise installment set to be released in 2020.
30. Jennifer Aniston and Courteney Cox: After meeting on the hit TV show Friends, Aniston and Cox have been besties for 25 years. The pair remained so close that Cox was Aniston’s maid of honor in her wedding to ex-husband Justin Theroux in 2015. “I’ll be there for you” wasn’t just their show’s theme song!
NBCU Photo Bank / Rex Features
31. Jay Z and Kanye West: Before West was a GRAMMY winner, Jay Z recognized his talent right off the bat. They’ve been closer than family for a long time. Although it’s been in the media that the rappers have had several rough patches, Jay Z still calls Kanye “his brother.”
32. Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez: After dating members of the Jonas Brothers simultaneously, the singers created their own squad. Despite rumors and lack of Instagram evidence, they remain closer than ever. Gomez even made an appearance at one of Swift’s Reputation shows in 2018.
Taylor Swift / Twitter
33. Natalie Portman and Rashida Jones: Even though both call Harvard their alma mater, these two didn’t become close until their Hollywood days. Up until recently, Jones was Portman’s only famous friend. Portman shared, “She would fight beasts 10 times her size to protect the people she loves.”
34. Jon Hamm and Paul Rudd: Things weren’t always so chummy between the actors. In fact, they crossed paths while in pursuit of the same woman when Rudd was a freshman in college and Hamm was a junior in high school. Neither of them got the girl, but they ended up with each other instead.
35. Jennifer Aniston and Ellen DeGeneres: Sure, Aniston frequents DeGeneres’ show to promote her upcoming work, but she also just stops by the studio to see her dear friend. They often enjoy casual dinners together and never miss each other’s birthday party.
Michael Rozman / Warner Bros.
36. Reese Witherspoon and Kate Winslet: These two became friends when Winslet moved into Witherspoon’s neighborhood. Apparently, Winslet knocked on Witherspoon’s door and introduced herself. That’s one way to start a friendship!
Aaron Poole / A.M.P.A.S.
37. Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence: Introduced by Woody Harrelson, the actresses have formed a strong bond over their awkward, yet endearing, personas. On several occasions, they’ve requested that their bestie be the interviewer for Q&As with big names like W Magazine and Elle.
Mike Nelson / Rex
38. Cara Delevingne and Kendall Jenner: Both models, Delevingne and Jenner met while working the same fashion show back in 2014. They still remain close friends even though work keeps them on opposite ends of the world.