When two celebrities get married, it’s pretty much expected that the wedding will be a lavish affair that costs millions of dollars. They have the money to spend, so why not make it an incredible event no one will ever forget?
While stars do spend countless amounts of money celebrating their special day, some marriages don’t end up working out. When dealing with people who have bank accounts that huge, divorces can actually be even more expensive than weddings.
Here are 22 of the most expensive celebrity divorces. You’ll be in shock at how much money it cost these couples to split up!
1. Mel and Robyn Gibson: Can you believe that this was the costliest celebrity divorce of all time? Academy Award-winning actor and director Mel Gibson was married to his ex for 26 years, and they had seven children together. In 2009, she filed for divorce, and Gibson forked over an estimated $425 million!
2. Michael Jordan and Jaunita Vanoy: Star basketball player Michael Jordan was married to his wife Jaunita Vanoy for 17 years, but in 2006, the two split amicably. Their post-nuptial agreement granted Vanoy half of Jordan’s fortune, and he paid her $168 million after all was said and done.
3. Neil Diamond and Marcia Murphy: World-famous musician Neil Diamond was married to television producer Marcia Murphy for 25 years before their divorce in 1996. Infidelity on Diamond’s part was the rumored cause, and he gave Murphy $150 million.
4. Garth Brooks and Sandy Mahl: Grammy Award-winning country music artist Garth Brooks and his ex-wife were high school sweethearts who tied the knot in 1986. The couple had three children together, and they divorced after 15 years of marriage. Brooks provided Mahl with $125 million after the divorce was final.
5. Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving: When Academy Award-winning director Steven Spielberg and actress Amy Irving met in 1976, they were both rising stars in Hollywood. They wed in 1984 and had one child shortly after. Four years later, however, they called it quits. Spielberg gave Irving half of his fortune at the time, which was $100 million.
6. Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren: This couple had one of the most public divorces of all time. They wed in 2004, but in 2009, word spread that Woods was having relations with several different women. One year later, they divorced. Nordegren was awarded $100 million.
7. Rupert Murdoch and Anna Mann: Rupert Murdoch and Anna Mann met at News Corporation, the multinational company founded by Murdoch. They were married for 31 years, but they divorced in 1998. Murdoch paid Mann $100 million in the divorce settlement.
8. Madonna and Guy Ritchie: Director Guy Ritchie and Grammy Award-winning singer Madonna got married in 2000. They had one child together and they adopted a second. In 2008, they severed ties, and Madonna paid Ritchie somewhere between $76 million and $92 million.
9. Harrison Ford and Melissa Mathison: In 1983, Star Wars actor Harrison Ford married E.T. screenwriter Melissa Mathison. The couple called it quits in 2004, however, and Ford gave Mathison $85 million.
10. Kevin Costner and Cindy Silva: Both Kevin Costner and Cindy Silva met at California State University, and in 1978, they got married. Sadly, Costner’s rising fame was too much to handle, and the two divorced in 1994. Silva received $80 million.
11. Kelsey and Camille Grammer: Frasier star Kelsey Grammer and his wife, Camille, star of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, split in 2011 after 13 years of marriage. Some people thought Camille was simply after her husband’s money, but she still received $60 million in the divorce settlement.
12. James Cameron and Linda Hamilton: Acclaimed film director James Cameron fell in love with actress Linda Hamilton on the set of his film Terminator. They dated in the early 1990s, but they were only married from 1997 to 1999. They divorced after Cameron had an affair, and Hamilton received $50 million.
13. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills: This couple had a lavish wedding at Castle Leslie in Ireland. They had a daughter named Beatrice together, but after four years, they split. Mills was awarded $48 million.
14. Michael Douglas and Diandra Luker: Actor Michael Douglas and his ex were married for 32 years before deciding to end things in 1995. Luker received $45 million from Douglas. Shortly after the divorce, Douglas made a name for himself as quite the Hollywood ladies man.
15. Phil Collins and Orianne Cevey: Orianne Cevey was Grammy Award-winning musician Phil Collins’s third wife, and they were married from 1999 until 2008; the split was apparently caused by Cevey’s undiagnosed postnatal depression. She received over $32 million, but the two ended up remarrying in 2016.
16. Ted Danson and Casey Coates: In 1977, actor Ted Danson and producer Casey Coates tied the knot. Coates had a stroke during the delivery of their first daughter, and Danson stayed by her side the entire time. However, the couple split in 1993 when Danson had an affair with actress and comedian Whoopi Goldberg. In the divorce settlement, Coates was awarded $30 million.
17. Lionel and Diane Richie: Singer Lionel Richie and his ex-wife, Diane, were married for seven years, but they called it quits in 2004. Diane received $20 million in the settlement, but her alimony petition requested even more. She wanted $15,000 per month for her clothing allowance, $50,000 per month for personal upkeep like manicures, and a $20,000 yearly plastic surgery budget. Lionel never remarried after that.
18. Kenny and Marianne Rogers: Singer Kenny Rogers has been married five different times, but his most expensive divorce came at the hands of his fourth wife, Marianne. The divorce was relatively amicable, and she received a cool $30 million.
19. Donald and Ivana Trump: The divorce between real estate mogul—and eventual United States President—Donald Trump and his first wife, Ivana, cost him a pretty penny. The two were married from 1977 until 1992. The divorce was a messy one, and Trump ended up giving Ivana $25 million.
20. Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall: Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger and his ex-wife Jerry Hall were married for nine years, from 1990 to 1999. Jagger was accused of repeated adultery, and when the couple split, Hall received between $15 million and $25 million.
21. Phil Collins and Jill Tavelman: Phil Collins sure knows how to spend money on divorces! Jill Tavelman was his second wife, and they were married from 1984 to 1996. Tavelman received an estimated $22 million in the divorce settlement.
22. Johnny Carson and Joanna Holland: Long-time Tonight Show host Johnny Carson married Joanna Holland on the morning of the show’s tenth anniversary party. The couple was married until 1985. Carson gave Holland $20 million in cash and property.
Wow! Weddings sure can be expensive, but these divorce settlement are even more outrageous!
Share these expensive celebrity splits with your friends below!