If you asked any film buff to list the greatest actresses of all time, chances are that Natalie Wood’s name would be near the top. The starlet burst onto the scene with an unprecedented fury, and yet most people don’t know her real story – let alone her real name.

Natalie Wood’s career took many unexpected twists and turns, and yet one weekend in 1973 completely transformed her legacy. While the exact truth remains a mystery, recent evidence has emerged that may shock even those who have followed the story for years.

Looking at her humble origins, nobody could’ve predicted that Natalie Wood would become one of the biggest stars in the world. Of course, no one could’ve predicted she would vanish so suddenly either.


She was born Natalia Zakharenko in San Francisco in 1938 to Russian parents. Her father worked as a laborer while her mother had aspirations of stardom. With their meager finances, her dreams of seeing her name in lights never came true.

Natalia developed a fascination with cinema, and her mother brought her to the theater as often as she could manage. Soon enough, the two of them started hanging around movie sets, and one day some crew members took notice of young Natalia.

She started landing small film roles at age five. But what really set her apart from other aspiring child stars was the 1947 Christmas classic, Miracle on 34th Street. Now going by Natalie Wood, she saw other roles come flooding in.

Unlike other child performers who have careers that burn out in a year or two, Natalie gracefully transitioned into more adult roles. She showed real depth in juicy parts like Judy, James Dean’s love interest in Rebel Without a Cause.

Film Society of Lincoln Center

Natalie also shimmered as Maria in West Side Story, even though she didn’t do her own singing. Critics began to view her as a muse for teenage rebelliousness, and the good reviews really paid off.

By the time she turned 25, Natalie had received three Oscar nominations. She seemingly had nowhere to go but up, and every household in America knew her name. But at the same time, she made as many headlines for her personal life as she did for her career.

The beautiful young Natalie rotated through some of Hollywood’s most eligible bachelors. For a short time, she even dated Elvis Presley, but they split before she could become queen to the King of Rock and Roll.

But at age 19, Natalie tied the knot with leading man Robert Wagner. Her mother thoroughly opposed the marriage, and Natalie finally relented in 1962. She and Robert divorced, though they hadn’t seen the last of each other.


As her film career continued to prosper, Natalie fell in love with producer Richard Gregson. They wed in 1969. Though she remained one of the biggest stars in the world, big changes for Natalie were on the horizon.

Sylvia Norris

Her whole world changed when she brought her daughter Natasha into the world. Wanting to make motherhood a top priority, she announced her semi-retirement from show business.

Even after she divorced Richard, Natalie only handpicked projects here and there, particularly in the realm of made-for-TV films. She impressed critics in this budding format, and her success brought her back in the orbit of an old collaborator.

Washington Post

Though she rejected some huge starring roles, she wound up cast on projects with ex-husband Robert Wagner. They rekindled their flame before too long, and Natalie ended up marrying him for a second time in 1972.

E! News

But this second chance wasn’t all smooth sailing. Natalie and Robert bickered, and rumors of infidelity floated around. Still, they hoped a weekend cruise on Robert’s yacht would ease their troubles. They had some interesting company aboard the Splendour too.

NY Daily News

Natalie was in the middle of shooting a sci-fi flick called Brainstorm, and her co-star Christopher Walken joined the couple on the getaway. They apparently flirted, which only caused tempers to flare.

Everett Collection

On that November night in 1981, Robert and Natalie had a tense argument — fueled by jealousy and alcohol — before splitting off to different parts of the vessel. By the time the other yacht passengers decided to turn in, nobody could find Natalie.

Steve Schapiro

There was simply no trace of her. The yacht goers questioned whether or not they heard a woman scream in the night, but nobody could quite confirm it. Left with no other option, they called the police for assistance.

Hours later, authorities located the body of Natalie Wood. She was just 43. As fans and colleagues paid tribute to her, questions swirled around her death. The coroner ruled it an accidental drowning, though others weren’t so sure.

Vanity Fair

For one thing, Natalie’s younger sister Lana said she had a severe phobia of the water. Natalie never would’ve gone for a midnight swim, so, she concluded, she must have either fallen in or been pushed. She also got a few bruises on her tumble off the yacht.

Wagner’s behavior was also peculiar. He often refused to cooperate with investigators and instructed the yacht’s captain to withhold information about that night. He never faced any official charges of wrongdoing, though authorities did name him a “person of interest” in 2018 when they reopened the case.


However, Walken was adamant that he didn’t see anything suspicious that night. In his sparse comments on Natalie’s death, he shared his belief that a tragic accident befell her. Walken has never cast suspicions on Robert Wagner, his would-be rival.

Known evidence still cannot fully explain what happened to Natalie Wood. Perhaps we will never know. As tragic as her ending may be, her legacy is firmly cemented in Hollywood. She posthumously received a star on the Walk of Fame in 1986.

Ultimately, she’s best remembered as the little Russian girl who morphed into a star. Public interest in her mysterious death is still going strong today; maybe devoted fans searching for answers can take inspiration from a solved Hollywood crime…

Actor Dylan McDermott might be a household name, but that wasn’t always the case. Once he was just a little boy growing up in a troubled home. But instead of focusing on his dark past, Dylan put his heart and soul into his dream of becoming an actor.

Dylan was born in the quiet town of Waterbury, Connecticut, on October 26, 1961. Like so many other youngsters growing up, he saw his idols on the big screen and had dreams of following in their footsteps and becoming a famous movie star.

When Dylan was 15, that dream finally started to come true. His parents split when he was young, and his father, Richard, married the playwright Eve Ensler, who was known for her play The Vagina Monologues. She began scripting roles for the teenager—then known as Mark—in her own original productions.

Even though she was only a few years older than Dylan, Eve happily adopted him when she married his father. Though the couple would eventually divorce, Dylan and Eve were so close that, when she miscarried a son, he took on the name “Dylan,” which Eve had planned to give to her unborn child.

Eve’s support of her adoptive son helped him thrive. He scored a major coup appearing in the film Twister in 1989, and in 1999 he won a Golden Globe Award for his appearance in the popular TV series The Practice. But none of these successes could erase the memories of his dark past…

Before Dylan moved in with his father, he’d lived with his mother, Diane. Diane was just 15 when he was born, and Richard was two years older. After Richard left her, Diane moved into a house with John Sponza, a well-established figure in local organized crime.

From a very young age, John had a criminal bent. He was arrested for the first time when he was 15, and he was rumored to have once shot a man who crossed him in the face. But because his father was a police officer, John managed to avoid prosecution.

Life with John was not easy for Dylan. The man regularly hurled verbal abuse his way and terrorized his mother, both emotionally and with physical abuse. Diane was simply too frightened to take her son and leave.

Diane tried to comfort Dylan and keep him safe from John. When the violence continued to escalate, Diane threatened him, saying that her ex-husband—Dylan’s father—had spent time in jail and wouldn’t mind putting John in his place.

On February 9, 1967, John told Dylan—who was just five years old—to go outside in the frigid weather. Dylan wasn’t wearing a warm coat, but he was scared, so he did as he was told. Once he was outside, he heard a sound that he would never forget: a gunshot.

Even though Dylan saw his mother removed from the house on a stretcher and put into an ambulance, he didn’t understand that she was dead. His grandmother kept the truth from him and his younger sister for over a year.

While Dylan might not have known the truth, the police were already investigating and they thought John’s story was suspicious. John originally claimed that Diane touched the pistol he was cleaning and that it went off, killing her accidentally in the kitchen.

Then John’s story began to change. He claimed that Diane took his gun and went into the garage deliberately to take her own life. However, the forensics team said that the point of entry for the bullet proved that couldn’t have been the case…

However, in spite of their suspicions, no charges were ever filed against John. For more than four decades, Diane’s death was recorded as having been the result of an accidental shooting.

For the next 40 years, Dylan worked hard to make his Hollywood dreams come true. After being raised by his grandmother, he finally reconnected with his father and, in turn, with Eve. But he never forgot about his mother…

In order to survive and thrive in Hollywood, Dylan had to push down the memories of losing his mother so violently. However, in 2011, he finally felt ready to confront these tragic memories.

Dylan got in touch with authorities in his old hometown and told them he still had questions about his mother’s death. Three detectives agreed to reopen the cold case; that was when they quickly discovered that something just wasn’t right…

The investigators learned that the original case files were missing. They wanted to interview John again, but they couldn’t—in 1972, he’d been murdered and his body was left in the trunk of a car.

Dylan and the investigators weren’t about to let the case go unsolved, however. The police conducted more interviews and scoured old press reports from the time of the murder. Armed with new information, they were able to finally give Dylan and his family peace for the first time: they determined that John, indeed, killed Diane.

Of course, John would never face a trial for his actions. But the fact that the case was solved—and that John received his own sort of karmic punishment—was the closure that Dylan needed to help him return to his life as a happily married father and actor.