Five-star hotels make for nice, but pretty boring, vacations. For a trip full of surprises and unforgettable moments, you can’t beat camping. You might wind up with a few more mosquito bites and smell a bit after a couple days, sure, but the great outdoors will provide you with the best stories.
These hilarious moments gave families and friends tales that they could share around the campfire for many years to come. Even your most bizarre camping memories can’t compare to these far-out photos!
1. There’s nothing like a day at the lake. These girls were wise enough to wear life jackets, though those only guarantee you won’t sink below the water. They won’t stop you from getting launched ten feet above it!
2. If you can’t beat them, join them. In a chicken-egg scenario, nobody can say whether the sign or the tents came first, but it’s clear that these rules are not working. Oh well, anything goes in the great outdoors.
3. Boats are super expensive, but these two geniuses found the perfect solution. They just slapped a motor and a couple pontoons on their picnic table, and now they’ve got a vessel as mighty as the Titanic herself. Judging by the one guy’s beard, they’ve been at sea for decades!
4. Need a use for all your leftover hotdog buns and condiments? These pranksters turned their scraps into a true masterpiece by accessorizing their passed-out friend. He can wash off that ketchup in a couple minutes, but his black marker beard is going to last a while!
5. Big spenders can be surprisingly frugal in certain cases. Take, for instance, this guy who’s transformed his Lamborghini into a clothesline. By the way, dangling your boxer shorts by the front seat is a great way to make sure nobody tries to steal your ride.
6. Minimalist housing is so in right now. This biker took this philosophy to the campgrounds by putting up a tent that’s only big enough to cover his head. At least his leather jacket, pants, and boots will keep the rest of him dry if it rains!
7. Out in nature, the world is your bathroom! That means you can use your toilet for many other things, like an all-in-one drink cooler and grill. However, this is definitely not the right seat to do your bathroom reading.
8. Enjoying the fresh air is not without its hazards. This man’s leisurely hike got a little sticky when he fell into a patch of cacti. The good news is that he’ll have a funny story for years to come, once the medical staff removes all the needles.
9. Some dogs absolutely despise going out in the rain, but that doesn’t mean they can’t make good camping buddies. Just bundle your pooch up in a nice waterproof jacket, and he’ll stick by you all weekend long.
10. Best friends are a great resource because they’ll stick by you no matter what. New bicycles, on the other, hand are a little more delicate. That’s why this guy gets to sleep in the tent with his prize possession, while his understanding friend dozes out in the open.
11. This set-up gives “port-a-potty” an entirely new meaning! But it’s not totally uncivilized; the toilet does come with a toilet paper roll. We can only hope nobody tried to make use of this lavatory while the truck was moving.
12. Is there anything more relaxing than a hammock? Well, maybe it loses some of its peacefulness once you get 25 feet off the ground. These campers took bunkbeds to the extreme and set up a hammock ladder! If only we could see how they get up and down.
13. After a long day on the range, why should your horse have to sleep outside while you spend the night in a cozy tent? This brave steed righted this wrong by walking headfirst into the tent. Not a perfect fit, but she’s proving a point.
14. We’ve all seen that guy who insists on camping with the smallest budget possible. Here he is in his full glory. Draped across a cooler and two folding chairs, he dreams of all the money he’s saved since he was too cheap to buy a tent.
15. Not all campers are into roughing it. Some, like this gentleman, feel so attached to their devices that they bring their entire office with them on vacation! You can tell he’s dedicated because he’s lugging around a monitor from 1995.
16. Still grossed out by that toilet grill? Well, you might not feel much better about this grocery cart BBQ, since those things never get cleaned. But on the bright side, all that heat should kill a fair amount of the germs lurking around the metal bars.
17. Remember that not all pets are cut out for the great outdoors. This enraged cat is doing everything it can to wriggle free of its tent prison. We sure wouldn’t want to be the ones stuck inside with it while it claws its way out.
Reddit / DearG-D
18. We hope this family didn’t forget anything! Given the amount of stuff loaded onto their truck, however, that doesn’t seem to be much of a possibility. The only other thing they should’ve packed was an extra vehicle.
19. The best campsites are those where you can escape from the entire world as if nobody knows you’re there. Thanks to this sign, one campground no longer makes that list. Somebody should probably add in “Not Very” in front of the word “Secret.”
20. A few campers simply refuse to give up all of their creature comforts. These adventurers figured a way to beat the heat by somehow rigging up a window air conditioner to their tent. You have to wonder: do they also bring a radiator with them during the winter months?
21. There’s plenty of laughs to be had at the beach too. This pup looks as if he’d been stranded on that island, spotted the camera, and seized his chance to plead for help. The little guy wasn’t really alone — friendly women inhabited the shores too.
22. Say cheese! It’s kind of a bummer when you’re having such a good time you forget to snag a selfie. Looks like these pals have been there before. Judging by their blissful expressions, these two go way back.
23. “Ready, one! Two! Three — Jeffrey!” Slippery sunscreen hands strike again. It’s safe to say the soft sand cushioned the little guy’s fall. Now he can guilt trip his mom forever for the photo evidence of her butter fingers.
Mainstreetsteve / Reddit
24. “Yes, I whipped my flippers on the rug.” One of the pleasures of a beach house is that the ocean is in your backyard. Sometimes it creeps into your entryway, or naps in your bed if you’re not careful to lock your doors.
Jraines / Reddit
25. Where do seagulls get the sea gall? Next time this hungry beach-goer should focus on scarfing their tempting donut and put the phone down. But, then the world would miss out on wickedly amusing action shots like this.
Arbayest / Reddit
26. Nothing is more relaxing than the dull roar of a plane. Well, whipping winds sending sand into every orifice puts up stiff competition. Hopefully the guests at this resort were given a discount for the proximity.
Vince Vega / Flickr
27. There are two kinds of kids. We’re not saying one is better than the other, some kids need training wheels before they try the real thing, but we’ll let you guess who you’d rather build a sandcastle with.
28. Uh oh, looks like someone was feeling ele…faint. Honestly, this big mama seems like a total faker. Can’t everyone enjoy a trip to the beach without Pearl creating a scene to get attention? Maybe next year…
Ssrgupta / Imgur
29. It may be cliched, but Jerry did all his best thinking on a sunset beach stroll. But he better leave before the dark sets in. Witnessing the haunting frivolity of the waterfront spit roast would send him into a tail spin.
Imgur / Wombat588
30. Now, you don’t have to be a sea captain to know this doesn’t look right. Skipper revved the engine too hard and also did not remotely understand how a boat trailer worked. Nevertheless, they would have made it out of the marina parking lot if weren’t for that pesky telephone pole.
31. It’s never too late to learn how to swim. But, the strategy of luring the aquatically challenged into water with Fritos wasn’t included in the lifeguard handbook. Hopefully that smirking boy brought enough for everyone!
32. Guys, it’s too late to argue over the miscommunication of the instruction “take it to the car wash.” Technically, the car did get the most thorough rinse possible.
33. Instead of tossing returnables into the trash, this guy marched the plastic straight into the ocean. What a savvy way to cut out the middle man and show recycling nerds how it’s really done!
34. The single beach shop in this town has to be making a killing. There might be more floaties than people bobbing around those waters. Good thing, since a lifeguard would be feeble against such large crowds.
35. People can make their jokes, but when you’re hopping across that boiling hot sand from foot to foot like a life or death version of hot potato, you’d wish you could swipe some flip flops.
Wakefool / Imgur
36. Technically, he wasn’t wrong, that couch is one type of fold-out chair. His roommates flipped out when they saw the living room was empty. When they changed the locks, he curled up on his impromptu water bed.
37. Well, a penguin has to get some use of that natural tuxedo every now and again. Plus, the sweet oceanfront view was right at their disposal. They got lucky too; there was no plan b in case of rain.
Tuttosbagliatotuttodarifare / Imgur
38. Is there such thing as sea shore sickness? Since this mythological jungle creature has to be some sort of fever dream; part kangaroo, cheetah, with the head of house cat. What makes it particularly fictitious is the small detail of the cat’s notorious hatred of water.
39. “Moooove over so I can fit under the umbrella!” No need to have a cow, there’s enough shade for everyone. Plus the littler bovine already got a lot of sun by the look of its crispy brown coat.
FunAlive3 / Imgur
40. There’s no dress code for the beach, and this fashionista felt the urge to enjoy seaside breezes while rocking her fresh heeled boots. Though she’ll have to be careful where she’s stomping or — pop! There goes her floaty.
41. Suddenly, all those seashells you’ve plucked from the sand aren’t that impressive. But it makes you wonder, how did all those early birds with their metal detectors stumble right past that treasure?
42. Some people never could learn how to keep work at work. Relocating his one man company didn’t make as big a splash on the market as Timmy anticipated. For one thing, maintaining a WiFi connection is a real beach.
43. It gets pretty competitive on the beach fighting over the perfect spot. Just when you think you’ve claimed your area of sand, some big brute has to mark his territory. Good luck getting him to move.
44. “Honey, it’s me!” This barnacle boy either took a swift tumble and emerged a reluctant sea creature, or he committed to the bit and put that nonsense on voluntarily. Either way, he had to smell fishy for days.
45. If snow people can wear ski masks, why can’t beach people wear sun masks? If the answer is because they are terrifying, then that makes sense. These sun conscious pioneers had the last laugh when they avoided sunburns, but the tan lines were brutal.
46. Other people take their sun exposure protection to bigger extremes. If you’re looking to repurpose your fabric textbook cover, look no further. But maybe stop and ask yourself why.
47. Jerry could never let his brother have the spotlight. That’s exactly why he crashed his brother’s honeymoon in paradise. As long as he stayed far enough away to be cropped out of pictures, he was allowed to hang around.
48. At first glance, it appears this girl didn’t get the memo about how cucumber slices work. On further examination, she just packed a veggie-heavy lunch and forgot the plates. Use what you’ve got!
49. Now this seagull is just plain rude. Clearly, he can’t wear that hat or eat it. He targeted that poor old man just to ruffle his feathers. But, jokes on the bird, because the old man didn’t notice his cap had been stolen.
50. Take notes: this guy’s doing something right. He had not one, but two spectacular catches. But a simple fisherman doesn’t make the rules, he just follows them, so he had to throw both back into the ocean.
51. At least it’s not leeches. Move over The Weekend, the real star girl has been born. She got up one morning thinking she’d spend a fun day catching rays. But now that she’s been chosen, she has to stay a beach fixture forever.
52. “Heck no! We won’t go!” This pet parent needs to respect that not every salty dog is seaworthy. Sometimes a pup just likes to rest its fuzzy corgi buns in the warm sand, because when it comes down to it, they recognize a bath in disguise.
53. Why the sand face? Sure, drawing their emojis in the sand makes for a good chuckle all around. But, in reality, if their actual faces looked the same, it would be a terrifying nightmare. Hopefully, shore washed this creepy display away for good.
54. Doctor Evil likes the beach just as much as anyone else, he just happens to travel in the most conspicuous vessel ever. He hasn’t quite learned how to make a subtle entrance.
55. If you thought losing track of the pieces to your board game was tough before, then floating family game night is not for you. Where there are cons, there are also pros, like not having to excuse yourself to use the bathroom.